Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Commissioned, Loved, Sent

On Sunday, Liz and I were commissioned by the congregation at all three services. Despite some nervousness about speaking in front of so many people (who would have thought?), it was really awesome to get to share what led to the decision to go back to Thailand. My hope is that in going, I am setting a precedent for others at Spotswood to go and do the same--preach Christ to those who have never heard the gospel before. I want it to be apparent that you don't have to be a "Christian Super Star" in order to be a foreign missionary. All it takes is willingness and availability. First, you must be both of those things within the context of a local church. Like Dr. Drew said, Liz and I have been poured into, invested in and now we are displaying the fruit of that investment in our desire to go to the nations in the name of Jesus.
At the third service, the deacons, the college group and the Swauger family came and prayed over us...one word expresses what I felt in that moment--loved. I felt incredibly loved by my church and I know that even being so very far away, I am still a loved, valued member of Spotswood Baptist Church in Fredericksburg, Virginia.

Here's what I shared with the congregation on Sunday. If I can get my hands on the video accompaniment, you can be sure it will never be posted in this blog. You're welcome for that.
I was asked to share with you all why I’m returning to Bangkok, Thailand for one year. Last August, Liz, Doug, Dylan, Jared and I went on a vision trip to Bangkok. The purpose was to see if we could form a sustainable, gospel-centered partnership with the Baptist Student Center. In the course of this trip, what God wanted me to do became abundantly clear--he wanted me to make him famous through teaching English and proclaiming the gospel to those who don't know him. Theologian Frederick Buechner said that “the place God calls us to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.” My qualifications being that I speak English and love Jesus, I knew God designed me to meet this apparent need. The more I learn about Bangkok, the more I realize that I love the people who live there. I consider it a privilege to get to use my gifts in order to glorify God. And really, it gives me great joy to get to do that. I am incredibly grateful that Spotswood is a church that honors the Great Commission and is sending me to serve in Thailand. So thank you. 

1 comment: