Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Quick Recap of the Flight

I know you all are probably eager to hear details about the 30 hour trip I just took **literally** halfway around the world but I'm not eager to dwell on it too much. I'll make this brief:

The first leg of the trip was from Dulles (IAD) to Heathrow, London at 6:40 PM on Monday. I was glad that the flight left so late in the day because I had time to buy flip flops and get my Power of Attorney notarized before leaving for the airport.

I arrived at the airport and said a sad farewell to my whole family (a first in a really long time). My sister Annie helped me drag my bags over to the Virgin Atlantic economy class line and saw...Liz and her dad being assisted by a gate agent at a different desk. They flagged us over and explained that they had been through the line three times because our tickets "did not exist"--uh oh. However--due to their patience and persistence, my check-in process was a breeze and my definitely over-weight bags were checked with no hassle at all (praise God).

Drama aside. We easily made it through security and to our gate where we grabbed dinner at Potbelly's Sandwich Works (my former employer!). I was psyched to be headed to London since I studied abroad in Bath, England in 2009; the waves of nostalgia came and went. The Heathrow terminal was full of exciting stores like Boots, Pret a Mange, etc. The Queen's face was everywhere (good job being queen for so long, I guess). For the record, I did not buy any Diamond Jubilee merchandise but I did purchase some chocolate--the real thing which can only be found in England and the UK/Europe section of Wegmans for an arm and a leg. During the trip, I must have drank a month's worth of tea...

Anyways, Liz and I made it to Singapore. The flight itself (our longest leg) was okay apart from feeling like it was never going to end. The movie selection was pretty poor so I only ended up watching "Man on a Ledge"--predictable but had me saying "goodness gracious" out loud more than once. I spent a good portion of remaining time watching re-runs of sit-coms I had already seen (like Parks and Rec :) )

Making it to Singapore was big because it meant that we only had one short leg left--Singapore to Bangkok! This is where we updated everyone on Facebook that we were okay:
Hello everyone. Made it safely to Singapore (good morning). Will post once Liz Swauger and I are in Thailand :)
“Singapore Changi Airport”
The last flight was a quick jump that felt like no time at all (except for the fact that we couldn't land immediately so we had to circle over BKK for about 40 minutes before we could land).

Finally, we made it through customs and security and met John and Ruth Lapos and their two kids, Hannah and Timothy who helped us carry our ginormous bags to the car.

My last Facebook status:
It is 1:20 PM on Wednesday here in BANGKOK, THAILAND. Praise God--both Liz and I arrived safely and are settling in to our new rooms and our new city. I am feeling jet-lagged but also incredibly excited for how God is going to use me here at the BSC and in Thailand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment