Saturday, June 16, 2012

Highlights (Dare I Say It, "Thailights")

So far, my life here in Bangkok has been a whirlwind of meetings, culture shock and jetlag. I'm pretty much settled into my new room here in the guest house at the BSC. It's standard dorm room furniture--bed, dresser, desk, wardrobe, mini-fridge, bathroom, etc. I will post more on my room later (if I remember).
It's 10:40 PM on Saturday here so I'll make this brief (notice how I always say that and then it's not...we'll see).
Here are some of my highlights so far. These may or may not be in order:

  • Getting to know the other BSC teachers who live in the guest house. I just had a several hour long conversation with Danni (an Aussi teacher), Dylan (a 20 year old from Idaho who teaches as well), and Lorena (a 90+ year old who has more stories than anyone I've ever met). I am so glad that these people are my sisters and brother in Christ.
  • Exploring JJ's Market with our new friend Air today. She was such a good tour guide considering how huge (overwhelming) this place was. We then got some Japanese food for dinner that was "aloy mak" ("very good").
  • Friday Night Life (yesterday evening)--special concert called "Welcome Home." The worship team reenacted the story of the Prodigal Son which was incredibly moving despite the fact that I could not understand anything that was being said. Then there was this Thai man who won this singing contest in Thailand (don't ask) who sang this beautiful song in perfect English about Christ and his love for us called "His Eye is on the Sparrow" (I think...). He then sang a Thai song in perfect Thai, I'm sure. After the concert, I reunited with my friend Oh from our trip in August which was awesome that God allowed us to be together again :)
  • River Markets in Ampla Wat (sp?) yesterday from 8 AM to 3 PM. It was an hour and a half long bus ride that I shared with our translator and Paul Robart, a missionary from Florida. We taught an English lesson to a group of elementary school teachers during their break and then we ate lunch with them. They were very curious about the weather in Washington, D.C. (for all intents and purposes, where I say I'm from). I told them it was the same as Thailand right now--hot! We then walked around the markets by the river that were mostly closed because it's a nighttime market. I loved talking to the translator named Ao about Jesus and hearing his heart for this country to fall in love with Christ.
  • Learning how to be a teacher. We have our schedules. We have desks. It's official. And weird. There was a point in my life where I was adamant that I was never going to be a teacher. Adamant. God has a way of changing our plans to fit His will. It's hilarious when we think the whole thing was our idea...not.

More updates to come! Good night!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you took that video as well :) Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your blog posts! We pray for you at night with Hunter (who still says that you guys are over there to help with the Flood and tell people about Larry Boy: from Veggie Tales). haha! So, if you could work that into your English lessons, I'm sure it will be of vital importance!

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow , fantastic. thank you so much for your great service. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    Jim Treharne

    ReplyDelete