Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"There Will Be Rats!"

Today at work, my boss (the Practice Administrator) called me into her office. Newly married, her face was tanner than usual having just returned from some exotic trip with her new spouse. Apparently Jenny, my manager, had told her about my "trip to Thailand." (Put the word "mission" in front of that phrase and you have it right). She told me she was excited for me but also sad that I was leaving. She couldn't believe that I was going to Bangkok. Bangkok. "You know prostitution is really terrible there, right?" She said vehemently. "And there's trash on the streets too. We've seen places where it's been that way in Egypt and India but in Bangkok, it's bad. There are rats there too, you know. Big, giant rats in the streets!"

A few months ago I was going through a period of immense discouragement and my pastor Doug recommended that I listen to a sermon by John Piper entitled "You Will Be Eater by Cannibals! Lessons from the Life of John G. Paton." John G. Paton (1824-1907) was a Scottish missionary to the New Hebrides.

A loud critic of Paton cried out, "The cannibals! You will be eaten by cannibals!" But to this Paton responded, "Mr. Dickson, you are advanced in years now, and your own prospect is soon to be laid in the grave, there to be eaten by worms; I confess to you, that if I can but live and die serving and honoring the Lord Jesus, it will make no difference to me whether I am eaten by Cannibals or by worms; and in the Great Day my Resurrection body will rise as fair as yours in the likeness of our risen Redeemer." Wow.
The parallels between the comments made by my boss and Paton's critics are unmistakable. No, I'm not in danger of falling victim to cannibals in Thailand and the Thai people are certainly not hostile savages who practice infanticide and widow sacrifice (so they could serve their husbands in the next world). In fact, my boss spoke very favorable of the Thais saying how kind they were and what a smiling people they are. Really, the point I'm trying to make is that when one is called by God to a particular task, there will be critics who will try to discourage you from accomplishing the work that He's set before you. These critics are well meaning family members who question your ability to fundraise enough money, bosses who warn you about the rodent problem in Thailand, and others who just haven't spoken up yet but keep their reservations in their hearts.

I told my boss that the reason why I am going to Thailand is because of the problems there--the prostitution, the absence of the Gospel in a place that's culturally and historically Buddhist. I told her I was excited to work with the Thai Church and be a part of what God is doing in Thailand.

Critics voice their concerns but the powerful voice of the Holy Spirit is MIGHTIER and we should listen when He calls us to obey.

"And pray for me, too. Ask God to give me the right words so I can boldly explain God’s mysterious plan that the Good News is for Jews and Gentiles alike. I am in chains now, still preaching this message as God’s ambassador. So pray that I will keep on speaking boldly for him, as I should." Ephesians 6:19-20 NLT



1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! I love it :) Remember when Ting told the story about the missionary's pet squirrel being eaten by the rat? I am hoping to photograph at least one while we are there...

    ReplyDelete