Monday, April 23, 2012

Shifting Seasons

Tonight was the last time I will ever lead small groups at UMW. I know there's a lot of finality and certainty to that statement but in my heart, I know it to be true. Even writing these words right now makes it even more final.

Yes, I am sad. Also, I am surprised that I did not cry tonight (tears will come soon and have already been shed over this transition.) I have lived in Fredericksburg for almost five years now. Spotswood has been my home for over two years. I know I say this all the time but Spotswood is the church that taught me what it means to be the church and to love the church because it is the body of Christ.

Since Spotswood is the church that is sending Liz and I to Thailand, we will not be a severed hand cut off from fellowship. We are merely a hand that is on the other side of the world. I am thankful for the universal church, i.e. local bodies that love and serve Christ in every part of the world that has been evangelized. I look forward to how I can be used there and be a witness to the work God is doing in Bangkok. We worship the same God, read the same Bible, sometimes sing the same worship songs (ahem, Chris Tomlin). It will be different but God's diverse creation--diversity in the church--is pleasing to him. It glorifies him.

Though this season here in Fredericksburg is drawing to a close, I can't wallow in sadness like I'm tempted to do. Sadness is an appropriate, condoned emotion but dwelling in it is unhealthy.

Rather, this transition is cause for celebration! "There is none like you among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like yours." (Psalm 86:8) God prepared this journey for me before he brought me to Spotswood, before I came to Mary Washington, before I was born. He prepared me to go to bring glory to himself. If I go in state of sadness, I am not glorifying God, I am indulging in my circumstances.

Later, in the months to come, I may need reminding that "extreme homesickness" is just a way I am indulging my sinful desires. My home is with Christ and my church home is his body in every part of the earth. I am very forgetful.

I'll be on that plane June 11th!

No comments:

Post a Comment