Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Cultural Snapshot-- "On Unlearning Things"

When I started this blog, I promised that I would share a few cultural insights that I've gained since living in Thailand. In my class yesterday evening we talked about social customs in different countries including Thailand. The main insight I gained is that if you think you know something about Thai culture, you're wrong.

For instance, the textbook highlighted how in Thailand you're NEVER EVER supposed to touch someone, especially a child, on the head. My students were like, "It's okay to do that!" One of my students proceeded to rub her hand on her classmate's head to illustrate the point (my inner cultural awareness sirens were going off like crazy). My students then explained that you probably shouldn't touch a stranger on the head which is true everywhere I think. (If you were in the States and reached over to touch someone on the head on the Metro, that would definitely not be okay either.)

However, the textbook noted that it is inappropriate in Indonesia to use your foot to point to things. My students emphatically told me that in Thailand, you shouldn't EVER do that. So much for thinking I knew a thing or two about Thai culture. Maybe in a future blog post I can tell you something that I've actually learned instead of something that I have to unlearn!



No comments:

Post a Comment